Im not going to lie. It was pretty epic.
The last time I had currywurst was in a service stop somewhere across Germany back in 2008. Five years later I get a craving for it and I just gotta have it.
It all started twelve days ago on Chinese New Year, the year of the horse, my year. I left the flat around 10pm in search of cabbage so that I could make sauerkraut. Little did I know that it was only the beginning of a desire to eat sausage with curry ketchup. Yummy? Im not sure.
Nine days on, a tasting of the fermenting cabbage revealed that it was ready to eat. It was at this point a light bulb went off in my head. I could have it as a side for currywurst. Of course. It made sense. Any reasonable person would have arrived at the same decision right?
Next step was to secure some Bratwurst. A trip to Lidl bore no fruit. They only had bockwurst. I walked away from the store feeling dejected, after all no sausage meant no currywurst. It was put on hold. For now…
A few days later, success! The bigger Tesco at the other end of town had it stock. They had one pack left on the shelf. The thick white german sausage stood out like a beacon amongst all the other anorexic meat sticks. It was so back on.
- It took
- 3+ days for the sauerkraut
- 3 hours for the ketchup (sieving the mixture was a bitch, but it tastes amazing)
- 30 minutes for the chips
- 3 seconds for the cabbage. Psych! It was 5 minutes or something.
- Stuff I winged
- I didn’t bother with the caraway seeds
- Chopped 2 sticks of celery and simmered it along with the tomato mixture
- Substituted the sugar in the ketchup for agave
- Used hot caribbean curry powder cause I didn’t have any regular stuff
- While you cook
- Stick on this playlist